What is a Perfecto PDO Thread?
A Perfecto PDO thread is a synthetic, absorbable, single-use surgical suture. It is safe, minimally invasive, and designed for lifting and repositioning bodily tissues, including those of the face. Perfecto PDO threads are made from p-dioxanone and are manufactured in Italy.
Compared to other brands on the market, Perfecto PDO threads stand out because they are manufactured with a rigorous standard to ensure safety and quality. Perfecto PDO sutures are extremely flexible and durable, with high tensile strength. This means that they offer longer-lasting, more effective results compared to other available brands.
What is a Perfecto PDO Thread Lift?
It is an effective, non-invasive, incision-less, cosmetic technique that lifts and tightens sagging skin by inducing collagen production. It is an excellent alternative for those patients who are not ready to undergo a more aggressive or invasive procedure such as a facelift.
Although the effects from a Perfecto PDO thread lift procedure will be temporary and not as dramatic as a facelift, improvement in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles can be seen gradually, as the procedure stimulates natural collagen production.
How does it work?
Perfecto PDO threads are implanted into the skin in the subcutaneous layer using small needles. Once in place, these threads cause micro-injuries, which stimulate tissue contraction and the production of new collagen. PDO threads are naturally absorbed by the body within six to eight months, but the new collagen will remain, meaning results are long-lasting.
How long do results last?
Results can last anywhere from 6-8 months, although we have seen cases where the effects can still be seen up to a year post-treatment. About 6 months after the procedure, the PDO threads will disappear through simple hydrolysis (absorbed by the body). The lifted facial contours will remain for about 3-6 months more, due to the cellular rejuvenation effects. Your skin cells are stimulated to produce new collagen, and new blood supply to improve and enhance skin microcirculation. At the same time, the PDO threads cause the fat tissue to contract, producing a skin tightening and facial slimming effect.
Perfecto PDO Thread FAQs
Can a thread lift be reversed?
Thread lifts are reversible. The results are long-lasting but temporary, unlike a facelift.
Do thread lifts really work?
Thread lifts are an effective way to reduce sagging or wrinkles and create a more youthful appearance.
Can I eat after thread lift?
It is best to limit your facial movement for about 24 hours and recommended that you choose soft foods or stick to a liquid diet for about five days following a thread lift.
Does thread face lift work?
Thread lifts are an effective non-surgical solution for sagging and wrinkles. They can offer results similar to a facelift.
Can I exercise after thread lift?
You can exercise after a thread lift, but it is usually recommended that you only perform light exercises like walking.
How long does swelling last after thread lift?
Mild swelling usually lasts for a few days, but no more than a week, after a thread lift.
How long will a thread lift last?
Thread lift results usually last from one to two years.
Can you drink alcohol after thread lift?
It is best to avoid drinking alcohol for about 24 hours after your thread lift. This helps prevent bruising or other unnecessary side effects.
How much is a thread lift?
Thread lift costs will vary depending on the treatment area and other factors. On average, a thread lift costs about $2,200.
Is thread lift permanent?
Thread lift results are not permanent. Most patients can expect their results to last for one to two years.
What should you not do after a thread lift?
You will have swelling and tension for several days that might restrict mouth movement, so avoid opening your mouth fully for up to a week. Do not use NSAIDs like ibuprofen.
What are the different types of thread lifts?
There are several types of dissolvable threads used in thread lifts that might be specific to certain tissues or body areas. In addition, each of the chemical makeups of the threads have different structures that help lift and stimulate the skin.
We offer two types of Perfecto PDO threads and here is how they differ.
- Smooth (non-barbed): ideal for patients looking for a lasting way to improve their skin quality. Much like the barbed PDO threads, smooth threads are also renowned for their ability to stimulate collagen synthesis. They are placed superficially when compared to the barbed ones. Smooth PDO threads are preferably used on deflated or creased areas (face, neck, arms, legs, etc.), and they are considered an excellent alternative for skin rejuvenation.
- Barbed: best for patients wanting tissue restoration, repositioning or lifting, and skin tightening. Just like smooth PDO threads, barbed PDO threads are excellent collagen stimulators. Their tiny mono-directional barbs latch into the tissue, allowing the thread to efficiently pull loose or sagging skin, and produce an inflammatory response. This inflammatory response stimulates the skin and surrounding tissue to go into a repair mechanism, which results will induce more collagen production.
What areas can be treated with Perfecto PDO threads?
One of the many characteristics offered by the Perfecto PDO threads is versatility, meaning they can be used practically anywhere on the body. Some of the most popular areas treated are the cheeks (midface), jowls, nasolabial folds, perioral lines, neck, and under the chin. However, they can be used anywhere in the body to rejuvenate and lift loose skin.
How is the Perfecto PDO thread treatment performed?
- Areas to be treated will be cleaned with an antiseptic wipe.
- Topical anesthesia will be applied on areas to be treated for 20-30 minutes
- The provider will mark the treatment area/s.
- Smooth or barbed Perfecto PDO threads will be inserted under the skin using a thin and small hollow needle.
- Once the desired effect is achieved (lift or support) by the provider, the needle is retrieved, leaving behind the barbed or smooth thread under the skin.
- Treatment areas will be cleaned with alcohol and Arnica gel will be applied.
- Ice packs will be applied to treated areas.
Who is considered an ideal candidate for Perfecto PDO thread treatment?
- People with minimal to moderate signs of aging want to improve their overall skin quality and lift or reposition loose or sagging tissue.
- Those who have a good amount of soft tissue volume.
- Those looking for a nonsurgical alternative to a facelift, want an immediate yet natural result.
- Those who are just beginning to notice skin looseness on areas of the face, neck, or body, trying to avoid the risks of general anesthesia, scars, incisions, recovery time, etc.
- People who have had previous plastic surgery procedures (such as a facelift or neck lift) trying to improve their overall results.
- Those scared or concerned to undergo surgical procedures due to underlying health issues.
What should I expect during recovery?
- Because Perfecto PDO threads are inserted via needles, swelling and bruising are expected.
- Avoid eating hard foods for 5-7 days since mouth opening might be restricted.
- Mild swelling and soreness for 3 – 5 days post-procedure is common. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is encouraged if soreness/pain persists. We discourage the use of NSAIDs (Advil, Aleve, etc.) to control or decrease pain or inflammation. Inflammation is necessary for fibrosis to happen.
- A sensation of mild tightness can be present for 7-10 days, but it usually resolves as swelling decreases.
- No facial massaging is allowed for the next couple of weeks post-treatment.
- Arnica Montana is strongly recommended if bruising is present.